Ohio environmental protection agency
Pdf File 83.16 KByte, 3 Pages
Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Safety Office Safety Standard Operating Procedure Number: SP10-15 Date: August 21, 2015
Title: Chemical Hazard Communication
The purpose of this Safety Standard Operating Procedure (SSOP) is to outline procedures necessary to ensure that all employees that handle any hazardous chemicals and/or products while performing their assigned duties are aware of the hazards associated with the chemicals/products. This SSOP also implements the requirements found in OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR1910.1200).
OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR1910.1200
Essential Components of the Chemical Hazard Communication Program
1. Availability and accessibility to Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for all chemical products used by employees.
2. Proper labeling of all containers containing chemical products. The Ohio EPA will use the manufacturer's original labeling, including any warning or hazard labels. Labels will not be removed from any original containers.
3. Training for all employees who handle chemical products. Training must include information on the location of the SDS sheets, proper labeling, and how to interpret data included on all SDS sheets.
4. Employees must have appropriate personal protective equipment available as indicated on the SDS when using the chemicals.
5. Procedures must be in place to handle any spills or other emergencies that may arise during the use of the chemical or chemical product.
6. OSHA's Hazard Communication standard (29 CFR 1910.1200) contains information on which chemical products are covered under this program. This standard should be reviewed if there are any questions regarding specific chemicals and/or products.
1. Supervisors of Employees Who Handle or Use Hazardous Chemicals/Products
a. Ensure that copies of the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are available for all hazardous chemicals and/or products used by their employees.
b. Ensure that a copy of the SDS is requested from the supplier whenever new chemical products are purchased. The manufacturer/supplier is only required to provide a copy of the SDS the first time the product is purchased or if there have been any changes to the SDS.
c. Ensure that all SDS are available in a centralized location and all employees are aware of the designated location. Computer access to the SDS is acceptable provided all applicable employees are aware of how to access this information.
d. Ensure that all employees who will be handling or using any hazardous chemicals have been briefed on the hazards involved with such use. The information contained on the SDS should be used as the basis for the awareness training.
e. Ensure that all hazardous chemicals are properly labeled. The original manufacturer's label should remain affixed to all containers. If the product is transferred into a small container, a copy of the original label must be affixed to the new container.
f. Annual refresher training should be provided by the supervisor on the requirements of this Standard Safety Operating Procedure. This training should be documented and kept on file.
g. Ensure that proper personal protective equipment is available and used as specified on the SDS.
h. Ensure that procedures are in place to handle any spills or other emergencies that may occur when handling or using any chemicals or products covered under this standard.
2. Agency Safety Program Manager:
a. Perform periodic audits in areas where hazardous chemicals are used to ensure compliance with this SSOP.
b. Assist program supervisors in developing both initial and annual training as required under this SSOP.
c. Provide technical guidance and/or training to supervisors and staff on interpreting SDS data when requested.
3. Employees Who Handle or Use Hazardous Chemicals
a. Employees are not permitted to handle or use any hazardous chemicals until they have been briefed on the requirements of this SSOP and have reviewed the appropriate SDS.
b. Follow all established safety requirements as outlined in the SDS. c. Ensure that all hazardous chemical products are properly labeled.
Employees must also ensure that any hazardous chemical products that are transferred from their original container are properly labeled. d. Employees must be aware of the location of all the SDS for hazardous chemical products they will be using. e. Ensure that both the initial and annual training requirements outlined in this SSOP have been met. f. Ensure that all necessary items of personal protective equipment, as specified in the SDS, are available and used as required. g. Ensure that all emergency procedures relating to the use and handling of chemicals or chemical products covered under this standard are understood. Adequate supplies for the proper clean-up of any spills or other accidents must be available at the location where these chemicals and/or chemical products are handled. h. It is highly recommended that SDS for chemicals used in the field be taken along on all field activities. This will enable quick access to SDS information should it be needed in the event of a spill or possible exposure.
On-Line Sources for SDS
The following websites are a good source to find SDS on-line:
- This is a link to a site which lists other SDS sites
- pdf ohio environmental protection agency southeast district
- state of ohio environmental protection agency salt creek
- state of ohio environmental protection agency southeast
- ohio environmental protection agency southwest district
- pdf otilim state of ohio environmental protection agency
- state of ohio environmental protection agency
- state of ohio environmental protection agency street
- pdf state of ohio environmental protection agency notice of
- ohio environmental protection agency
- ohio environmental protection agency fact sheet
- pdf state of ohio environmental protection agency street address
- state of ohio environmental protection agency public notice
- healthy child uc davis health
- western illinois university your potential our purpose
- pdf how to disable cookies in internet explorer
- issues overview palliative care within aged care
- amazon web services
- ford castrucci in milford ohio
- la personnelle assurance auto
- old john deere tractors for sale
- jeep parts grand cherokee laredo
- 2005 ford freestyle transmission recall
- capital toyota chattanooga used cars
- breaking news now north korea
- developing capacities for teaching responsible science in the mena region
- broderson carry deck crane rentals
- fix kohler toilet flush valve
- amarillo civic center events calendar
- john deere east moline illinois
- 20 interesting facts about spain
- aluminum service truck bodies
- chrysler auto uaw pension plan
- city of dallas building inspection online
- denver colorado dodge dealerships
- 2018 honda accord invoice price
- east lyme parks and recreation
- history of jaguar motor company