Ramsey county human services

Pdf File 122.88 KByte,

Ramsey County Human Services

Solicitation for Agreements

Base-Rate Group Residential Housing for Adult Men and Women with Chemical Dependency or Co-occurring

Chemical Dependency and Mental Illness

Date Issued: April 1, 2007 First Revision: September 23, 2008 Second Revision and Re-issue: October 20, 2009 Third Revision and Re-issue: September 16, 2010 Fourth Revision and Re-issue: March 20, 2012 Fifth Revision and Re-issue: May 1, 2013 Sixth Revision and Re-issue: August 9, 2013 Seventh Revision and Re-issue: February 5, 2015

As a Ramsey County Human Services Solicitation for Agreements Pilot Project, Proposals may be submitted at any time until further notice.

This Solicitation for Agreements will periodically be reviewed and updated. Check with Ramsey County Human Services and check current Minnesota Statutes before submitting any proposals.



A. Project Description

Ramsey County Community Human Services (RCCHS) recognizes an on-going need in Ramsey County for Group Residential Housing (GRH) services for adult men and women age 18 and older with chemically dependency or co-occurring chemical dependency and mental illness.

Ramsey County Human Services is willing to recommend contracting with agencies for the development of GRH services under the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Group Residential Housing program depending on the specific population to be served and the need as determined by RCCHS. Please notify RCCHS about any potential project prior to writing and submitting any proposals as specific needs in Ramsey County, as well as state and local laws and regulations for Group Residential Housing, may have changed (See item C below).

GRH beds developed through this project will to be reimbursed at the current GRH base rate. The current GRH base-rate, less $94.00 for the recipient's personal needs described below, as of July 1, 2014, is $876.00 per month or $28.80 per day / per bed / per recipient. This rate is designed to pay for monthly food and housing needs only. A minimum of $194 per person, per month must be budgeted for food in GRH facilities.

In addition to the base rate room & board paid to the facility, each person in the GRH program will receive for personal needs, clothing allowance, and prescription medication co-pays currently not less than $94 per month.

This project is not for the development of facilities targeted only for persons defined as eligible for the GRH Long-Term Homeless program, but may include clients eligible for that program.

This project is not for the development of facilities targeting those with high medical needs or those in need of GRH with Supplemental Services.

GRH beds can be implemented in many types of configurations and facilities. The number of beds in an individual facility is not specified within this project. Any viable proposal with a feasible budget is eligible for review as long as it meets the requirements of this project and the GRH program. Proposed facilities may also be targeted to serve one or more sub-populations including, but not limited to, the following examples:

? Men and women attending outpatient treatment and who are in need of chemical-free housing

? Men and women in need of transitional housing using an alcohol harmreduction model

? Non-English speaking men and women ? Men and women of a specific culture, ethnicity, or other targeted population


B. Project Limits

1. The Group Residential Housing (GRH) beds to be developed through this project must accordance with state laws and the rules of the Minnesota Department of Human Services and will be subject to any changes made by the Minnesota Legislature in regard to the monthly reimbursement rate.

2. This project is subject to the provisions set forth in Minnesota Statutes Chapters 256I.01 to 256I.06.

3. The facilities to be developed must be licensed as a Rooming and Boarding House by either the City of St. Paul or, in suburban Ramsey County, by the Ramsey County Public Health Department.

4. The locations of these facilities are subject to the guidelines and restrictions set forth in local zoning regulations. The City of St. Paul designates areas appropriate for this type of development under local codes. Each suburban municipality also has its' own codes and designations for geographical areas within its jurisdiction. The facility location of a must be approved by the local zoning authorities. In addition, a facility may require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) depending on local regulations.

5. When seeking a property or home for this project, please be aware that Ramsey County is concerned about issues of density and desires not to create overconcentrations of supported living or other similar type of community living services. Please notify RCCHS (see item C below) of any addresses being considered prior to purchase of or securing control of a building if possible. RCCHS will provide a list of other human services residential programs in the immediate vicinity. If there are several or similar facilities nearby, RCCHS will encourage the proposer to seek another location.

6. A facility serving adults with 10 beds or more will require a commercial kitchen and a person on contract or on staff who holds a food manager's license. Single room occupancy facilities with in-room kitchenettes may have 10 or more beds in total and will not require a commercial kitchen. For purposes of GRH regulation, if there are adults and their minor children housed in a facility, the children are not counted as part of the total GRH population. For example, a facility with 8 adults and four minor children would not be required to have a commercial kitchen.

C. Ramsey County Human Services Department Contact

Questions concerning this solicitation may be submitted in writing to Kurt Koehler, Planning Specialist / Contract Manager, Room 9500, 160 E. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55101 or by email at: Kurt.Koehler@co.ramsey.mn.us


D. Other Contact Information

1. For questions about the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Group Residential Housing (GRH) program, contact:

John Petroskas GRH Policy Specialist Minnesota Department of Human Services 444 Lafayette Rd N St. Paul MN 55155 651-431-5644 John.Petroskas@state.mn.us

2. For questions regarding Board and Lodging facility licensing, Environmental Health Plan Review, and Certificate of Occupancy:

In suburban Ramsey County;

St. Paul-Ramsey County Department of Public Health Environmental Health Section, 1670 Beam Avenue, Suite A, Maplewood, MN 55109-1176 Phone 651-773-4469

An Environmental Health Plan Review for local development is also required by the following cities;

The City of New Brighton 803 Old Highway 8 NW New Brighton, MN 55112 Phone 651-638-2100

The City of Maplewood 1830 E. County Road B Maplewood, MN Phone 651-429-2000

For Environmental Health Plan Review and Licensing of facilities in the City of St. Paul:

Office of License, Inspections, and Environmental Protection 8 Fourth Street East, Suite 200 St. Paul, Minnesota 55101-1024 651-266-9090

3. For questions regarding zoning and local ordinances governing locations of specific buildings and sites:

In the City of St. Paul contact:


St. Paul Department of Safety and Inspections / Zoning Office 375 Jackson Street, Suite 220 Saint Paul, MN 55101 Ph: (651) 266-8989 Fax: (651) 266-9124 Web:

Note: GRH funded facilities are licensed as Rooming and Boarding Houses and they are not defined as Sober Houses under City of St. Paul ordinances.

In suburban Ramsey County:

Arden Hills, 1450 W. Highway 96, Arden Hills, MN 55112 651-792-7800

Blaine, 10801 Town Square Drive NE, Blaine, MN 55449 763-784-6700

Falcon Heights, 2077 W. Larpenteur Ave., Falcon Heights, MN 55113


Gem Lake, 4707 Highway 61, White Bear Lake, MN 55110 651-747-2790

Lauderdale, 1891 Walnut Street, Lauderdale, MN 55113 651-792-7690

Little Canada, 515 E. Little Canada Road, Little Canada, MN 55117


Maplewood, 1830 E. County Road B, Maplewood, MN 55109


Mounds View, 2401 Highway 10, Mounds View, MN 55112 763-717-4000

New Brighton, 803 Old Highway 8 NW, New Brighton, MN 55112


North Oaks, 100 Village Center Drive, Suite 150, North Oaks, MN 55127


North St. Paul, 2400 Margaret Street, North St. Paul, MN 55109 651-747-2400

Roseville, 2660 Civic Center Drive, Roseville, MN 55113 5


St. Anthony, 3301 Silver Lake Road, St. Anthony, MN 55112 612-782-3301

Shoreview, 4600 North Victoria Street, Shoreview, MN 55126


Spring Lake Park, 1301 81st Avenue NE, Spring Lake Park, MN 55432


Vadnais Heights, 800 East County Road E, Vadnais Heights, MN 55127


White Bear Lake, 4701 Highway 61, White Bear Lake, MN 55110


White Bear Town, 1281 Hammond Road, White Bear Town, MN 55110



A. General

Ramsey County Human Services provides a range of services to individuals who experience chronic chemical dependency, mental illness, and other disabilities. When a need for GRH has been identified as part of the service plan, referrals are made to GRH facilities. The County determines a client applicant's eligibility and authorizes an initial length of stay for a client eligible to receive GRH funding. Extensions of the length of stay are subject to a determination of the client's continuing eligibility.

In addition to being financially eligible for placement, clients seeking GRH funding to reside in the facility must also be assessed by the County as being chemically abusive or dependent, or with a co-occurring chemical dependency and mental illness by the Ramsey County Human Services Department.

Clients referred to these GRH facilities may have chemical dependency and mental illness problems that can be chronic in nature. These clients may have extensive histories of chemical dependency treatment, several detoxification admissions or psychiatric hospitalizations. Clients referred to the facility may be under a commitment status. Clients entering to the facility may be referred from a recent stay in a detoxification center. Many residents entering the GRH facilities will have either recently attended a formal treatment program for mental illness, chemical dependency, or both, or may be attending outpatient treatment, receiving case management, or


Download Pdf File