What is the purpose of research university of new mexico
Pdf File 1,697.46 KByte, 6 Pages
What is the purpose of research?
} Operational descriptions
Specific, precise language Allow for replication
} Precise descriptions of criteria used to select participants
} DV is an important target for the participants } Have operational definitions of each DV } The measures used allow direct observation
and empirical summary } Measurement procedures are specifically and
clearly defined } DV(s) are measured repeatedly } Assessed IOA for each DV; IOA meets
Name: On-task behavior
Definition: Orientation of the student toward the appropriate object or person
Examples include: following directions given by the teacher, paying attention to the speaker (peer or adult), and working on assigned tasks.
Non-examples include: playing Free Cell during independent reading activity on computer; talking about girlfriend during science cooperative learning group; staring out of window during independent seat work
} Operational definitions of the intervention components
} Explicit descriptions of materials and procedures
} Systematic manipulation of IV
} Measurement of treatment fidelity (aka, procedural implementation or procedural fidelity)
} Precise descriptions } Demonstrates predictable pattern
} Minimum of three demonstrations of experimental control at three different points in time
} Control of threats to internal validity
} Utilizes multiple participants, settings, materials, and/or targets (behaviors)
} Replication occurs across multiple studies and researchers
} Uses operational descriptions
} Target behaviors (DVs) are socially important
} Degree of change in DV after intervention is socially significant
} Intervention is acceptable to participants and practitioners
} Implementation of the intervention is practical and can be used by "typical" practitioners/parents
1 Experimental Control 2 Individual is unit of analysis 3 IV is actively manipulated 4 DV is measured repeatedly 5 Baseline 6 Design controls for threats to internal validity 7 Use of visual analysis (statistical analysis is
emerging) 8 Systematic replication 9 Experimental flexibility
} Minimum of 5 SCD studies that meet minimal criteria for quality,
} document experimental control,
} published in peer reviewed journals,
} Are conducted by minimum of 3 different researchers across minimum of 3 geographical locations, and
} the 5 studies include a minimum of 20 participants
"The selection of any research methodology should be guided, in part, by the research question(s) under consideration. No research approach is appropriate
for all research questions, and it is important to clarify the types of research questions that any
research method is organized to address" (Horner et al., 2005, p. 172).
1. Clear experimental question is asked 2. Plan developed for measuring events of
interest 3. Data are collected 4. Results are analyzed 5. Results publicly reported 6. Findings replicated
One of the differences between ordinary and really valuable research is the research question asked.
} Where the researcher received graduate training
} Resources available } Experimental and extra-experimental
contingencies } Researcher's personal history
} Question guides selection of the design, measures, procedures, and data analysis.
Participant selection Selection of dependent variable Selection of independent variable Data analysis
"the experimental procedures [should] yield data that answer the question."
} Participant population } Intervention (IV) } Measures (DV) } Hypothesized outcome ? maybe!
"The purpose of the current case study was to examine the use of an antecedent-based intervention implemented in a general education classroom on the occurrence of stereotypic behavior and engagement of a student with ASD. In addition, this case study examined the replication of this intervention with the classroom teacher's assistant in the general education classroom."
1. Demonstration (or replication) 2. Comparison 3. Parametric 4. Component
} Will level of integration influence social interaction between students with severe disabilities and their general education peers?
} How does level of integration influence social interaction between students with severe disabilities and their general education peers?
} Begin with the issues of greatest concern: Is it socially important? Form partnerships with persons with disabilities and their families Talk to practitioners
} Know the research literature: Has it been done? If so, what were the findings? Where might the next step be in this line of research? [Look for gaps, conflicts, weaknesses]
} Be leery of only asking questions that can be answered empirically
} Is it doable: Time/ Resources/ Skills?
} Is it interesting to you?
} Is it the current "hot topic"?
} Our own experiences } Observations } Conversations with others } Literature (NOTE: this is a necessary but not
sufficient step in developing a research question.) } Conferences, talks, classes } Ongoing projects } ? ? ?
Measurement & Evaluation Threats to Internal Validity
Replication ? Read:
? Gast, Chapters 5 & 6 (see pp. # in syllabus). ?Kratochwill et al. , pp. 5-11
? Bring a draft research question that you would like to examine using a single case research design to class. Incorporate the elements or writing a good question that we discussed. (You will turn these in.)
- pdf reclaiming the purpose of schooling university of wyoming
- pdf what is the purpose of this experiment or can students learn
- what is the purpose of the new testament cbcg
- what is the purpose of sampling
- pdf what is the 1098 t form university of houston downtown
- what is the meaning of life does it matter how you answer this
- 1 the purpose of marketing research tutor2u
- what is the purpose of a flowchart cornell university
- what is the purpose of research proposals
- what is the purpose of your business new perspectives
- what is the purpose of this research study siren
- what is the purpose of this manual edu
- what is the purpose of research university of new mexico
- what is the purpose of the ashp pharmacy administration
- what is the purpose of this manual university of south
- discount rental trucks for moving
- craigslist sw minnesota general
- 2014 suzuki boulevard m109r boss
- craigslist seattle eastside garage sales
- bus schedule metro transit mn
- herb chambers honda of seekonk
- local honda generator dealers
- enterprise coral springs wiles road
- cobb county courthouse holiday schedule
- garage based business ideas
- edmark superstore nampa idaho
- toyota service cost estimates
- japanese used vehicles stocklist
- cincinnati public schools jobs
- john deere10 garden tractor for sale
- ludwig van beethoven symphonies
- farmall h for sale craigslist
- grove park jacksonville florida
- bunker beach discount tickets
- chrysler pacifica interior photos